Friday, June 21, 2013

Law Students GONE WILD!!!


Money Quote: "'It wasn't just like one day I woke up and decided, 'Let's do this,'' [former UB Law SBA Treasurer Margaret Olyer said after pleading guilty to stealing $33,000 from the organization.] 'I can't describe in words where your head goes....Everything that I'm trying to do is trying to right this wrong and correct this mistake.'" Olyer acknowledged that she "used some of the money to feed her alcohol and prescription painkiller habits."

*****



"Law School Graduate Charged In Classmate's Gruesome Murder,"  by Kevin Koeninger (Courthouse News Service)

Money Quote: Stephen McDaniel, a recent law school graduate, upon being charged with the gruesome murder and dismemberment of a fellow member of his law school class had "told his roommate that he has no conscience and that he relishes power. McDaniel said he would establish dominance over his victim and that he wanted to feel the power of having someone's life in his hands."

*****


Money Quote: "Justin Teixeira, 24, a recent Berkeley Law graduate, and Eric Cuellar, a third year student at the school, are alleged to have chased a third law student through the [Las Vegas] Flamingo hotel's wildlife preserve. Security footage from the hotel shows the three to be intoxicated. A witness saw the three students emerging from the preserve's trees carrying the body and severed head of the bird. The bird's body was later found by hotel staff in a different part of the facility."

12 comments:

  1. Well there's four people who should be ahead of me in the line for the C&F dungeon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Story #2 shows Nietzschean ethics in action. Perhaps a certain law professor might want to defend the ubermensch. He could surely win using the will-to-power defense.

    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very very funny, in a serious kind of way.

      Delete
  3. You seriously censored my previous comment? You let through all manner or profanity and diatribe, but mine was just too terrible to let through? Keep up the good censorship.

    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I just hadn't logged on yet today to allow posts and I guess no one else did either. I personally appreciate any comments to my posts. The only time I don't allow comments myself is when they are spam, or are from you-know-who, or just say "so-and-so is an [fill in blank with favorite expletive]. There is a remarkable amount of spam with broken English that gets filtered.

      Thanks for reading, Jim.

      Delete
    2. I had some stuff censored too. Has the policy changed?

      I thought that it was unless it's grossly offensive or referenced Painter (which is, I suppose, a subset of "grossly offensive") it gets posted?

      Or is the moderation now becoming subjective?

      Delete
    3. Not that I know. I let almost everything through even if questionable. A few times someone just called someone an offensive name and nothing else. I don't see a lot of value in that to the discussion.

      Delete
    4. I have only censored someone for offensive name calling like two or three times. At least bury your name calling in an argument!

      Delete
    5. Hey, I see there was just a backlog. I saw some other comments in another thread posted before mine and thought mine was blocked (I assumed mods were being hyper politically correct, which they thankfully aren't). My apologies for my irate post.

      And by the way I agree that its good to block comments of a pure-name calling, insulting nature directed at other commentors.

      --Jim.

      Delete
  4. I guess they start learning how to be assholes early these days. Stealing from the trust account, drunken property destruction, and crimes of violence.

    You just gotta remember to do these things AFTER you're admitted to the bar so you can get away with a slap on the wrist. If you do it BEFORE, you're in trouble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think sociopaths are attracted to the profession?

      Delete
    2. They are attracted to power. Unfortunately, they tend to be successful at getting it.

      Delete